Are you crazy busy? Do you have way too much to do?
Here are a dozen reasons why you need to STOP IT!
1. There are only 24 hours in a day and you can’t change that.
2. Most of the items on your list are never going to get done so why kid yourself.
3. People are tired of hearing you complain about having too much to do.
4. You are not going to suddenly become five times as productive tomorrow.
5. “Not enough time” and “Too much to do” are victim words. You don’t want to be a victim!
6. Complaining about too much to do only demonstrates your inability to set clear priorities.
7. You are making yourself miserable and sick with stress.
8. You are wasting a substantial percentage of your time reorganizing your hopeless to-do list.
9. Few of the items on your list are going to make a big difference in your life or your organization anyway.
10. Interruptions happen. You can choose to be a helpless victim or you can respond with decisiveness and/or acceptance.
11. You are the only person who can take control of your life and make it better.
12. If you accept victim-hood as unavoidable, you are undoubtedly making others miserable and sick as well.
It is time to stop whining and take charge. Pick your top few priorities and drop everything else!
If someone else is piling tasks on you, you need to push back, say no, and insist on a few top priorities.
If you have clear priorities but still can’t focus, it’s time to switch jobs. If you can’t manage your boss well enough to set reasonable priorities, it’s time to switch jobs. If you can’t measure up to the productivity levels of others, it’s time to switch jobs.
If you are the boss, make those tough decisions, give your employees a break, and endure the consequences. That’s why you get paid the big bucks. Fight against the victim-hood of “too much to do.”
Life is short. Make your choices and spend your time with family and friends instead of with your to-do list.
This article was originally published on Forbes.com on December 4th, 2016.