Turtlenecks are making a comeback. It took their comeback to make me realize they had pretty much disappeared! Not counting the ones I continued to wear, of course. I just don’t notice these things. It’s good that my business doesn’t depend on my attention to high fashion!
But it is a huge problem when you are oblivious to factors that matter to your success. I encountered several retailers this holiday season who fit that description. They don’t seem to have noticed that:
- Amazon has set a new standard for 2-day delivery, if not less.
- Shipping and handling charges are oh so passé.
- Product defects are expected to be remedied more or less instantly.
- Shoppers shop late and won’t wait for backorders.
- Returns need to be easy, no questions asked, and, preferably, with free shipping.
These are the new norms. You don’t have to like them. You don’t even have to execute accordingly. However, you better not think you can ignore them and plod along the way you always have. Turtlenecks can come back. Slow delivery with extra fees and poor quality never will!
Need help identifying and adjusting to new norms? Let’s talk. It all starts with clarity: 617-939-9654.